The Preservation of
a Beautiful History
Since 1986, the Daly Mansion Preservation Trust has used generous dontations and funds to restore the Gem of the Bitterroot Valley to its historic charm.
Queen Anne Remodel
Plans for a Remodel
First Public Tours
DESKTOP: Drag green scrollbar to the right to view history
PHONE: Drag timeline right to left to view history
History of the Mansion
The Historic Preservation
Preservation of the Mansion was started just as soon as the newly formed by volunteers, Daly Mansion Preservation Trust received the keys to the property towards the end of 1986. They immediately started preservation fund raising and were able to open up the first floor and just a few of the second floor rooms of the home to the public by Mother’s Day 1987. As funding was obtained by the Trust, small scale restoration was continued until a major restoration was funded by 2005. At that time the home was rewired, an elevator installed, the house made ADA accessible, a new roof and new boiler system installed. The first floor was totally restored, the second floor almost restored and some restoration done on the third floor.
Not only was the home in need of restoration, the grounds around the home were also needing restored. There are 26.5 acres of lawns, over 400 trees, some of which are well over 100 years old and several historic outbuildings to restore and maintain.
There is more to do! You can help by making a donation to the restoration/maintenance fund by clicking on the button below.
On August 23rd, 1986 there was an auction of all the remaining furniture from the Mansion. Over the year’s people that purchased items at the auction have donated many of the items back and it helps us tell the story of this wonderful home! If you have, or know of anyone that may have purchased items at the auction, please consider bringing them home. Call or email Darlene. We will be forever grateful.
Did You Know?
- The original Stock Farm covered over 22,000 acres?
- Mrs. Daly donated land for the Daly Hospital and the Bitterroot Public Library?
- Prior to Mr. Daly’s death, he supplied coal at no charge to more than two dozen families in the valley?
- Tammany Castle was built to house Mr. Daly’s favorite horse Tammany?
- One of Mr. and Mrs. Daly’s daughters married a count from Hungary?
- The growth chart on the second floor of the mansion was used to help prove that Montana was Mrs. Daly’s legal residence after she died in 1941?
- The mansion was abandoned for 45 years after Mrs. Daly died?
- The land that formerly housed the building where the Dalys stayed in New York City is now occupied by Trump Tower?
- Daly’s great-granddaughter Candace was killed in an auto accident at the much too young age of 25?
- Marcus I, Marcus II, and Marcus III all died in November of a year ending in zero?
- Where the Bower building is now in downtown Hamilton was once the site of Daly’s Mercantile store (it burned down in 1936)?
- Mr. Daly owned over 1200 horses?
- In the early years, the Ravalli County Fair was held on Daly property?
- One of Mrs. Daly’s sisters was married to the brother of Marcus Daly’s arch-enemy and fellow Copper King William Clark?
- Mrs. Daly owned the very first Lincoln in Ravalli County?